Non-stick cookware is a must have in the kitchen now. It enables you to use less oil, which is good for health; reduces the possibility of burning food, which invariably spoils the flavor and taste of the food and sticks stubbornly on the bottom of the cookware; and, finally, it eases the cleaning operation.
For this review, we have tried & tested several nonstick pans from various brands. Taking into consideration their built quality, health safety, sturdiness, cooking performance and other aspects, we have picked some of the best non-stick cookware in India.
- Non-stick coating material & number of layers.
- Safety of nonstick surface
- What metal is used in the cookware?
- What is the gauge?
- Are they induction compatible?
- Are they dishwasher safe?
Top 5 Best Non-Stick Cookware
1. GreenLife 8 Inch Non-Stick Ceramic Fry Pan with Soft Grip, Turquoise
- Thermolon ceramic non-stick coating
- Manufactured without PFAS and PFOA
- Aluminum reinforced body without lead and cadmium
- Stay-cool Bakelite handle with soft-touch and oven safe up to 350˚F
- Dishwasher safe
This GreenLife ceramic fry pan has a non-stick material that is derived from silicon. The metal part of pan is made of aluminum alloy that doesn’t contain harmful metals like lead and cadmium. It evenly distributes heat across the entire surface that is used for cooking.
The pan has Bakelite handles. No matter how hot the cookware may get, the handles will remain cool so you can easily move them when they are still hot.
Further, as per current scientific research the thermolon ceramic non-stick coating is safe to use on cooking utensils.
Greenlife nonstick pan has worked wonderfully well in our tests. We tried frying an egg without putting oil in the pan. As expected, the egg did not stick to the pan. The same feature facilitates cleaning it up.
However, it is highly recommended you avoid dry heating in day-to-day cooking. Apply a thin layer of oil on its surface before you start cooking.
The pan is made of Aluminum alloy and therefore is light in weight. This makes it easier to handle.
The downside of this product is its color – both inside and outside. Where the base touches the pan supports, it may get stained. As for its inside, that, too, is quite sensitive to very high temperatures. Therefore, it is recommended that you set it at low or medium flame.
These pans are dishwasher safe as long as the coating is intact. Overall, this is the type of non-stick pan that you should purchase if you are looking for an attractive, convenient, and safe nonstick cookware.
2. Carote Granite Non Stick Set – Frying Pan, Dosa Tawa & Kadai
- Made from lightweight but thick aluminum alloy
- Ergonomic handles with no rivets.
- 5-layer reinforced granitec non-stick coating
- PFOA Free
- Uniform heat distribution
- All Stoves Compatible
- Dishwasher safe
This product is from Carote brand that is manufactured in China. It consists of one 24 cm frying pan, one 28 cm dosa tava, and one 28 cm Kadai. All three of these cookwares come with an induction base. Kadai come with a glass lid. As far as looks are concerned, the cooking set looks just superb.
During testing we found the nonstick performance of this pan to be top class. However, the coating was affected when exposed to high temperature. It evenly distributes heat across the entire surface that is used for cooking.
A durable granite cookware uses a porcelain enamel coating over it. However, in Asia granite cookware makes use of PTFE (Teflon) coating mixed with pigments to give it a granite like appearance.
This is exactly the case with this cooking set. Carote Granite nonstick set is no better than a regular Teflon nonstick cookware. The only difference is its appearance. However, as it comes with 5-layer reinforced coating, the quality of coating is better than ordinary Teflon cookware.
3. Hawkins Futura Hard Anodized Aluminum Cookware Set of Tava, Frying Pan, Deep-Fry Pan, Cook-n-Serve Bowl with Lid
- Stick Resistant Cookware
- Gas stove compatible
- Allows for the use of metal ladles
- Non-toxic (PTFE & PFOA free)
- Non-reactive with acidic food
- Heats evenly and quickly
- 3.25 mm gauge throughout.
- 5 years warranty
Hawkins Futura brings you complete set of cookware that is designed to prepare a classic Indian menu in all its diversity of taste and culinary styles. The cookware set includes a lovely cook ‘n serve bowl with lid, two pans, one for shallow and another for deep fry, and a superb tawa with steel handle.
In our tests we have found the nonstick performance to be inferior compared to cookware with Teflon, or Ceramic coating. This is understandable as Hard Anodized cookware are only stick resistant and not nonstick. This is a compromise you need to make if you want to avoid nonstick cookware for health reasons. Similar issues happen with all healthy cookware like steel cookware or cast-iron cookware.
Futura Hard Anodized cookware are great for cooking foods with gravies / sauce / water. However, for frying, you just need to ensure that the cookware is hot and has some oil spread over it before putting food items over it.
Otherwise, the results will be like the image below. In this case I added egg before the tawa was hot enough.
Other than this, the whole pan was heated evenly and there were no signs of warping or damage to the top surface even with the use of metal spatula.
Hawkins Futura cookware doesn’t make use of any non-stick material for coating, still it has mild nonstick properties. This is indeed the feature/property that we like the most.
This cookware comes with a solid 3.25 mm gauge thickness and riveted handle. Such thick cookware heats evenly without hotspots and therefore prevents food from burning. The reverted handles typically last a long time and do not get loose easily.
Another advantage of Hawkin’s hard anodised cookware over Teflon or Ceramic cookware is that you are not restricted to cook at low or medium flame. It perfectly resists high heat.
Finally, you don’t have to worry about the non-stick releasing toxic fumes when heated up. The material used in it is non-toxic and non-staining.
Certainly, Hawkins Futura fully returns the value on your investment. Also, it is one of the healthiest choices you could make.
4. Meyer Trivantage Nickel Free Stainless Steel 2 Piece Cookware Set
- 10 years of warranty on performance of cookware.
- Nickel-free triply stainless steel with aluminum core.
- Tempered glass lid without a steam vent.
- Easy to clean & dishwasher safe.
- Scratch and abrasion resistant.
- Induction, Oven, and Gas stove compatible.
- 2.3 mm gauge throughout.
- Silicone covered stainless steel handles.
Next on our list of best nonstick cookware in India, is Meyer stainless steel 2-piece cookware set consisting of a 26cm frying pan and 26cm Kadai with glass lid. These are medium size cookware and will suit a small family of up to 4 members.
Because this stainless-steel cookware doesn’t have any non-stick coating, there is no risk of coating getting flaked or damaged and causing health hazards. Unlike ordinary cookware, it is highly resistant to warping, scratch and pitting.
The stainless steel Kadai has 2.3 mm thickness and is quite heavy. An aluminum core between inner and outer layers of stainless steel ensures even heat distribution so that food cooks well without burning or sticking.
Regarding non-stick properties, if you heat up your stainless-steel pan with butter or oil until it’s hot enough and then add the ingredients they won’t stick. You can also season it periodically (Just like cast-iron cookware) to create a temporary nonstick coating.
This stainless-steel cookware is made of Nickel free steel that makes it the most safe and convenient cookware in our opinion. Moreover, it is scratch resistant, dishwasher safe, and induction stove compatible.
You can cook practically anything with stainless steel cookware, including acidic and smelly foods.
Because stainless steel is non-porous and non-reactive, it can be used safely to cook acidic foods like tomato soup, or smelly foods like fish fry. This is a great advantage over Aluminum and Iron cookware.
On the downside, this is an expensive cookware that not everyone can afford. Also, sometimes you get yellowish-brown oil stains that would need rigorous scrubbing to clean.
Overall, it’s the best product for health cautious people.
5. Meyer Cast Iron Dosa/ Roti/ Chapati Tawa – 28 cm
- Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Tawa
- Gas and Induction Compatible
- Metal Spatula can be used
- Chemical Free and Non-Toxic
- Cooks food faster and crisper
- Oven Friendly Up to 250 C
- Lifetime Warranty
Cast iron is excellent for cooking rotis, dosa, frying eggs, roasting meat, baking, and sautéing vegetables in butter. However, because cast iron is a reactive metal, it should not be used with acidic foods like tomatoes, curd, vinegar, etc. Further, boiling water in cast iron is not recommended as it can remove the seasoning and allow the iron to leach into the water.
If we keep these limitations in mind, we can conclude that it cannot be used to make Indian curries as they often have tomatoes, curd, or water added. Also, you cannot use it for Chinese or Korean dishes as they often need to be cooked with vinegar and water.
So, all we are left with is cooking dosa, chapatis, parantha, frying eggs, toasting bread, or sandwich, etc. And for this purpose, all we need is a cast iron dosa tawa, which is our next recommendation.
Meyer cast iron tawa did exceedingly well in our test for nonstick properties. It weights almost 2 Kg and come with a good thickness. This ensures proper heat distribution and prevents burning of food at the center.
However, it would have been better if the iron handle was covered with a heat proof material. It sometimes gets too hot to handle.
Overall, the product is good quality-wise. Just protect it from water and wash with hands using a nonabrasive scrubber. Dry after washing. Apply oil (Season) after every 4 to 7 days.
This will last for lifetime if it is taken care of properly.
Best Non-stick Cookware – A Buying Guide
Non-stick cookware is now a household phrase in India. You will hardly find a kitchen where you won’t find non-stick cookware. People know all too well the advantages of using them. After all, cooking is something that takes place in all houses everywhere in the world. They know all possible kitchen scenarios very well.
They know by experience, when they used aluminum, iron, and brass utensils for cooking, how much oil they used and how often food got stuck at the bottom. Especially when preparing dishes like dosa on tawa, they must be remembering how often it got stuck on it, and an attempt to pick it from the tawa just messed it all up. At times, the quantity that would get stuck on the bottom of the utensils was such as would suffice a kid…depending on the size of a kid, of course.
With the arrival of the non-stick cookware, cooking was rendered considerably easy and unproblematic. And, their shape and size and performance unfailingly combine to stir both your imagination and gastronomic desire. Things that you never thought of preparing once, you are able to prepare now. That how easy they have rendered the cooking processes.
This buying guide will help you learn about them in some detail. It will certainly make you a learned buyer.
A Word or Two about the Non-stick
Long back in 1930s while experimenting with refrigerants, one American chemist came up with a sticky substance as a byproduct. The same was used to turn cookware into non-stick after the lapse of many years.
As the effort to make non-stick cookware progressed, substances like polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) were formed for the purpose. If these chemical terms sound too complex, then you may have a generalized term instead. It is Teflon.
Please note that these chemicals pose certain level of health hazards due to their releasing harmful fumes when heated beyond certain point. Some say it is 300˚C. That is the reason why many brands make it a point in their product descriptions that their product is free from PFOA and PFAS.
Brand now days make use of Thermolon Diamond Advanced ceramic coating for its products instead of those toxic chemicals. It makes the utensils highly heat resistant.
Some manufacturers also use silicone gel to give the surfaces of their cookware an appearance of ceramic. When you use it, the silicone gel makes its surface non-stick. But any cookware in which silicone gel is used, doesn’t last long; because the silicone gel is bound to get used up after some time. Whenever this gel is gone, a cookware ceases to be non-stick.
This was talking about the nonstick part. Let’s consider the surfaces on which it is applied. It is largely aluminum. It is molten, made free from contaminants, and turned into slabs. Slabs are turned into sheets, and sheets are cut into the shape of a die that is used for making whatever cookware that is to be made.
Next, they are chemically processed so that the pores open up on their surfaces in order to receive enamel coating on them. If these pores are not opened up, the enamel coating may not stick to their surfaces.
After they receive enamel coating on the outside, whatever info is to go on their bottom is put down there and, then, they are heated again. This changes color and also lends it glossy surface.
The next stage is to prepare the inside of the cookware to receive the non-stick layer. For this purpose, primer is applied on the inner surfaces. After the primer is applied, different number of layers of nonstick materials is applied.
Next, they are sent to the oven. As they come out from there, water washes off any contaminant there is from their surfaces. Then they pass through infrared chambers to get dry. All that remains now is to punch holes into them and fix them with handles.
Things to Look Out For While Buying Non-stick Cookware
Since we are talking about non-stick cookware, we are bound to talk about the non-stick and cookware, especially where it touches the quality of materials that are used in their make and ergonomic design. This is because the quality of materials ensures their durability and ergonomic design makes them easy to use.
Following are the few details that would ensure both the aspects of the cookware:
- Teflon (PTFE) or Thermolon: You are better able to decide upon whether you would go for one or the other only if you buy non-stick cookware online. This is because if you go and visit some store nearby to buy it, it won’t be possible for you to find out the kind of details that we are discussing here. You will have to go by what is there on the packaging alone. And most of the part it has to do with how many pieces and what type of cookware is included in the package. On the contrary, if you visit online stores, you find their detailed product descriptions. You will find there clear mention of whether the non-stick material used in the make is Teflon or Thermolon or hard anodized aluminum. It is desirable to go for Thermolon since, as stated before, Teflon is said to pose health hazard. There are many views for and against Teflon; nevertheless, we know for certain that many prestigious brands have stopped using PFOA, PTFE and PFAS in non-stick material since 2013. These are the substances that are used in making Teflon. There must be reasons why they stopped using them. Having said that, we’d like to ask our readers one simple question: Since how long you have been using non-stick cookware in your kitchen – non-stick cookware that is coated with Teflon? What is your experience? Have you faced any problem? Answer to these questions would also answer the question whether you should go for Teflon coated cookware or not.
- Is it compatible with induction cooktop: It will always stand you in good stead if you think of having something that can be used both on gas stove and on induction cooktop. You can never tell when a situation forces you to use induction hob. So it is good that you go for a non-stick cookware having ferromagnetic bottom that makes is suitable for induction hob.
- Is it dishwasher safe: After washing machines, the need for something for washing utensils was also desperately felt for long. This demand is fulfilled by a dishwasher. It is received with much enthusiasm in India. If you already own one, then you need to look out for dishwasher safe non-stick cookware which can resist the high heat that is generated in a dishwasher machine.
- Gauge of the utensils: This is important…Because many non-stick cookware is available in the market and not all have thick gauge. Here, it needs to be known that the thickness of a cookware may owe itself to multiple layers of coating as well as cores of metals that are used in it. Generally, aluminum and stainless steel are used for providing metallic cores. If a product is induction friendly, then it is sure to have a metal that is susceptible to electromagnetic waves. All you have to look out for is the number of layers that a utensil has.
- Ergonomic handles: You must have learned by experience that many pans and pots do have handles, but they are not comfortable to hold in hand. The utensil itself may be good but not the handle. Therefore, pay attention to terms like stay-cool, soft to touch, etc.
- Size: If you buy things from stores, it reduces the error in choosing the size of a pot. But if you intend to buy from online store, you need to have fair idea about the size of the product you choose to buy. Pay heed to the dimension of a vessel and, at the same time, to your need. Better to compare it with what you already have at home. You need to have a measure tap for the purpose.
- Best brands: Markets are literally flooded with non-stick cookware and often you come across products that look really great but when you buy and bring them home, they just don’t last. The non-stick material either falls off in flakes or just wears away imperceptibly. Also, the handles come off, making it difficult to handle. The best way out is not to keep eye on the price but rather draw on the brand names that are already established, here, in India. These include Hawkins, Meyer, Carote, Greenlife, & Kent.
Please note that there are many other brands having impressive range of kitchenware in this category. But we think that our selection is sufficient for your reference.
Best Non-Stick Cookware in India – Frequently Asked Questions
What makes Teflon hazardous?
When a cookware coated with Teflon is overheated, it results in damaged coating. The damaged coating alone wouldn’t matter much for most; what matters is the PFOA that it releases. PFOA is certainly toxic.
Is Teflon carcinogenic?
There is wide-spread controversy over the issue and since it is not fully resolved, we choose not to express our opinion on it. All we know is that we, the Indians, have been using it since long and many of us are still using it but it's banned in the US.
What is the better option for Teflon?
It is certainly to be found in carbon steel cookware or hard anodized cookware, or thermolon ceramic cookware.
Are ceramic cookware guaranteed to be safe?
Ceramic cookware comes with a sol-gel (derivative of sand) coating that is bonded to the cookware. Sol-gel ceramic surfaces are "self-sacrificing" surfaces, which means that their coating is released during cooking and ingested along with the food. There is not yet enough evidence or studies to determine conclusively whether or not ingesting small amounts of silicone oil is harmful to the human body. So, these are safe until proved otherwise. Just like Teflon coated cookware were considered safe until the toxicity of PFOA-rich Teflon was proved in few studies.
Is hard anodized cookware safe?
Hard anodized cookware is durable, lightweight, and inexpensive cookware with non stick properties. Anodized aluminum is sealed so that the metal cannot leach into food or react with acidic foods. So, it appears to be safe compared to Teflon coated cookware.
Through this article, we have tried our very best to help you get the best deal in non-stick cookware. The products we have chosen for review are offered by the best brands that do not require an introduction to Indian customers. Moreover, our choice is not only supported by our professional expertise but also by actual testing of the cookware. Hence, you won’t regret it if you follow it.
Last update on 2023-02-04 / Images from Amazon